We are seeking a skilled and motivated European Patent Attorney (Trainee) with a background in biological science (ideally a PhD) to join our dynamic team and contribute to the mission of protecting and maximizing the value of clients' innovations.
As a European and/or German Patent Attorney (or in training) specializing in biotechnology, you will play a crucial role in providing expert guidance to our biotech clients through the complex landscape of intellectual property law. You will work closely with inventors, researchers, and innovators in the biotechnology sector, translating their cutting-edge discoveries into robust patent strategies. This role involves preparing, prosecuting, and managing patent applications before the European Patent Office (EPO), as well as providing strategic counsel to clients on patent portfolio development, opposing or defending patent in opposition proceedings, IP litigation, and licensing matters.
- Patent Prosecution: Draft, file, and prosecute European patent applications related to biotechnology inventions, ensuring compliance with EPO guidelines and regulations.
- External Collaboration: Coordinate and collaborate with Attorneys from other countries to provide international patent protection services to clients.
- Client Engagement: Collaborate directly with biotechnology clients to understand their inventions, technologies, and business objectives. Provide strategic advice on patent protection strategies and assist in building strong patent portfolios.
- IP Strategy: Develop and execute strategic plans for clients' patent portfolios, aligning with their business goals and market dynamics within the biotechnology sector.
- Infringement and Validity Analysis: Conduct freedom-to-operate, infringement, and validity analyses, guiding clients in making informed decisions regarding potential legal disputes or licensing agreements.
- Oppositions: Defending or opposing patents in EPO opposition proceedings and representing clients in oral proceedings.
- IP Litigation Support: Collaborate with the litigation team to provide technical expertise and contribute to patent litigation and enforcement efforts when necessary.
- Market and Technology Monitoring: Stay updated on emerging trends, legal developments, and regulatory changes within the biotechnology sector to provide up-to-date advice to clients.
- Networking: Represent the firm at relevant industry conferences, seminars, and events, building a strong professional network within the biotechnology community.
- Team Collaboration: Collaborate with colleagues within the firm, including attorneys from other practice areas, to provide comprehensive legal solutions to clients.
- Qualified European and/or German Patent Attorney (or willing to study for the qualification) with a strong academic background in biotechnology, (ideally a PhD) in biology, molecular biology, biochemistry, or related disciplines.
- Preferably experience in patent prosecution and counsel within the biotechnology sector, with experience in drafting and prosecuting successful patent applications before the EPO.
- In-depth understanding of European patent law, regulations, and procedures, with the ability to navigate complex legal landscapes.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, for effectively interacting with clients, colleagues, and stakeholders.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving abilities to assess complex scientific and technical information.
- Fluent in English; knowledge of German or other European languages is a plus.
- Exceptional attention to detail and organizational skills to manage multiple client portfolios simultaneously.
- Ability to work independently, as well as collaboratively within a team-oriented environment.
Please submit your resume, cover letter, and any relevant professional references. We look forward to reviewing your application and discussing how you can become a valued member of our biotechnology legal team.